Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Casa cu Pauni: FTB 4


The Case cu Pauni (Peacock House) is the first building I saw in Timisoara that I realized was something special. I had found it via the Blue Guide (during my first real walk), where I read that it was designed by Martin Gemienhardt, one of Timisoara's leading Seccesionist architects.

It wasn't until my next visit, that I realized that there are actually two Peacock Houses, both in the Piata Plevnei.

I kept coming back to these buildings and discovering how alive they are.


Images of animals and birds and plants everywhere.




Even here (under the cornice), where you can hardly see it, unless you look.


Even the door has these organic, curvy, peacock-looking lines.




I figured I would find out all about Martin Gemeinhardt, but even after extensive (mainly internet) searches, I have discovered almost nothing at all, except that 1) he signed these buildings; 2) he designed another building (kind of Gothic revival but also with lots of organic details) on what is now Blvd 16 Decembrie 1989; 3) that he has some connection with the Anchor House in Iosefin; 4) and that he and his father belonged to a music society in Timisoara.



No comments:

Post a Comment